When does the band rehearse?
Rehearsals are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12:00-1:45 PM. The band also rehearses on Saturdays from 9-10:30 AM on game days.

Is there a “band camp?”
Band members report to campus one week before classes begin in August. During this week, the band rehearses daily preparing for the upcoming season. Band members are allowed to move in to their dorm rooms early in order to attend these rehearsals.

Where does the band rehearse?
All outdoor rehearsals are held in Kidd Brewer Stadium, home of the three-time National Champion Appalachian State University Football team. Indoor sectionals are held in the Broyhill Music Center.

Does the band perform at all football games?
The band performs at all home games, usually five or six each year. The band will also travel to select away games, usually one or two each year. If the football team is involved in post-season playoff games, the band usually attends these as well.

Does the band compete?
No. College bands do not participate in competitions.

What costs are involved with participation in the band?
Each band member is required to purchase black shoes, a band t-shirt, a band cap and bandear warmers to be worn in the stands. The total cost of these items is approximately $80.00. Band members are also charged a $60.00 band fee. All other expenses related to travel and equipment are paid by the university and the Athletic Department.  Merchandise may be purchased here.

Is there an audition required to join the band?
There is no audition required for woodwind and brass players. Percussionists, colorguard members and majorettes are required to audition. These auditions are usually held in April each year. Information regarding these auditions is posted on the band website in late January.

Do you have to major in music in order to participate in the band?
Not at all. Only 40% of the band is comprised of music majors. The other 60% consists of students majoring in a wide variety of subjects from throughout the university.

Do band members receive academic credit?
Yes. Band members receive 1 hour of academic credit for each semester in the Marching Mountaineers. All band members must register for MUS 1100-101 when building their schedules for the Fall semester. Participation in the Marching Mountaineers fulfills the major ensemble requirement for music majors. For all other majors, band is credited as an elective.

Are there scholarships available?
There are no “band” scholarships available for those students participating in the Marching Mountaineers. Music scholarships are available for music majors through the Hayes School of Music.

What travel opportunities are available?
Each year the band travels to a few away football games to support the Mountaineer Football team. In recent years, these trips have taken the band to the University of Michigan, Louisiana State University, and three National Championship games. In addition, the Marching Mountaineers enjoyed the opportunity to perform in the 2006 London New Year’s Day Parade in London, England.

Does the university provide instruments?
The university provides piccolos, mellophones, marching baritones, sousaphones and percussion instruments. These instruments are available at no cost to band members as long as they are returned in excellent condition at the end of the semester.

How can I get more information?
For additional information, please feel free to contact Mr. Don Peach, Associate Director of Bands, at (828) 262-6474 or email here. You may also contact the Administrative Assistant, Abi Trusler, here.